Bishop Gedeon has been detained in the airport by the Security Service of Ukraine
February 13, 2019 – The Union of Orthodox Journalists reported in the evening that the abbot of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church’s (Moscow Patriarchate)1 Desiatinny (Tithe – Ed.) monastery, Bishop Gedeon (Kharon) of Makarov was detained at the Borispol airport and is about to be deported, Protodeacon Anthony, Secretary of Gedeon, told Facebook. The bishop was returning from the United States where he told the US Congress about persecutions of the canonical Church and oppression of Ukraine Orthodox Church’s (Moscow Patriarchate) believers. In addition, the following day on February 14 Bishop Gedeon is supposed to participate in the hearing at the Supreme Court of Ukraine questioning the legitimacy of Tomos.
“Where he is to be deported is unknown because he is a citizen of Ukraine. He was born in Ukraine. And at the moment he is deprived of citizenship, and where to deport is not clear,” shared Protodeacon Anthony.
The secretary of the bishop informed that the staff of the State Border Service of Ukraine had no questions to the abbot of the Tithe Monastery.
The detention of Bishop Gedeon was carried out by the Security Service of Ukraine. They seized the passport from him and declared it “lost”, said Protodeacon Anthony, despite the fact that the bishop successfully used allegedly “lost” document to travel to and from the United States. Representatives of the Security Service also stated that Bishop Gedeon had lost his Ukrainian citizenship and the issue of his deportation was being resolved.
- Union of Orthodox Journalists – “UOC Bishop Gedeon (Kharon) deported from Ukraine”
- The Facebook channel UOC Centre of Information –
- “After the Visit of the Usa the Abbot of Desiatinny Monastery is not Being Let in Ukraine – Bishop Gedeon is Being Detained at Borispol.”
- “UOC’s Bishop Gedeon has been Detained at the Airoport Borispol on the Eve of the Session of the Supreme Court of Ukriane on the Case of Canceling the Directive of the Parlaiment About the Tomos”
- The Facebook channel of Bishop Gedeon Kharon –
Jan. 2, 2019 – The Chairman of the All-Ukrainian Council of Churches and Religious Organizations (AUCCRO), Chief Rabbi of Ukraine believes that with the adoption of Law No. 5309, no religion in Ukraine can feel protected from state interference.