The beaten defender of the UOC Сathedral in Sumy dies in coma

May 18, 2020. After being beaten up by a soldier who was systematically involved in anti-church actions, the defender of the cathedral in Sumy dies without coming out of coma.

On the night of May 14, 2020, Anatoly Borisenko, who served as the head of the security service of the Transfiguration Cathedral and the Sumy Diocesan Administration of the UOC, died after having been beaten up by the soldier who was systematically involved in anti-church actions. This was reported by the press service of the diocese.

Anatoly Borisenko died in coma that occurred after he had been brutally beaten by the soldier of the National Guard in 2015.

The funeral service for the newly departed man was performed by the Dean of the Sumy City Church District Archpriest Nikolai Smakouz in concelebration with the local clergy. The priest conveyed condolences on behalf of Metropolitan Eulogy of Sumy and Akhtyrka to the wife and relatives of the deceased.

“Sumy Eparchy expresses condolences and sympathy to the relatives and friends of the deceased. We call for prayerful commemoration of the servant of God Anatoly. May the All-Merciful Lord rest in peace his soul in the Kingdom of Heaven!” the message says.

As reported by the UOJ, Anatoly Borisenko served as the head of the security service of the Transfiguration Cathedral and Sumy Diocesan Administration. On October 22, 2015, the night before the celebration in honor of the miraculous Korsun Shpilov Icon of the Mother of God, an attack was undertaken on the employee of the Transfiguration Cathedral of the city of Sumy, Anatoly Borisenko, who was responsible for its protection. He was seriously injured, as a result of which he remained in a stable severe coma. The attacker, a soldier of the National Guard of Ukraine Pavel Miasischev, had a bayonet-knife and was intoxicated. The detained National Guard soldier initially denied any involvement in the beating of the guard but subsequently admitted everything. Two criminal proceedings were opened against the suspect – for causing intentional grievous bodily harm and illegal possession of weapons.

During the trial, Miasischev took part in anti-church actions. Despite pressure from the radicals, the court sentenced the offender to six years in prison. However, the offender was subsequently released.

Visual testimony:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Encourage the Council of Europe member states to respect freedom of religion, share this: